Registration information for this course will be forthcoming.
HASC’s intensive 2023 Advanced LEAD Academy will take place over 10 Wednesdays from June 7 through Dec. 13. The program is open to experienced leaders seeking to enhance their skills and fulfill their potential. LEAD Academy is not required.
Advanced LEAD Academy is the next step for people with leadership experience who want to take their skills to the next level. Through ten comprehensive modules, leaders at all levels will strengthen competencies and cultivate skills:
- Balance strategic focus, operating objectives and interpersonal relationships
- Target and identify opportunities for innovation and change
- Manage and inspire the performance of their employees
- Assess personal strengths and limitations to engage in continuous self-improvement
Presented in the same interactive style with
the same focus on real-world tools as LEAD Academy, Advanced LEAD Academy’s engaging activities guide participants through the process of understanding emotional intelligence and negotiating the distinct challenges of leadership.
Participants who complete all 10 modules will receive a certificate of completion.
Specific program focus areas include:
- Advanced leadership skills
- Managing effective projects
- Planning successful change
- Coaching employees to better performance
- Working through organizational politics to get things done l Improving process performance
- Breaking nonproductive biases
Emotional Intelligence: An Advanced Leadership Strategy
- Manage emotions by better keeping them under control
- Motivate yourself to go beyond your emotional comfort zone
- Recognize and understand other people’s emotions and why they may be expressed as they are
- Manage relationships, i.e., manage others’ emotions to increase overall effectiveness
- Create synergy by using the emotional pull of health care
Negotiation as a Leadership Skill
- Decide if negotiation is needed
- Clarify the issues and identify stakeholders
- Determine the best negotiation strategy based on the relationship and desired outcomes: hardball, softball, zero-sum or win-win
- Focus on win-win; have alternatives if needed l Open the conversation and explore the issues
- Focus the conversation and get agreement
- Ensure appropriate follow-up and next steps
Managing and Leading Effective Projects
- Define and clarify project scope, boundaries and expected outcomes
- Identify all internal and external stakeholders and what information is needed from whom, by when, and in what format
- Create a critical path and role clarification around each milestone
- Create an accountability process for all team members, especially for multidisciplinary teams
- Determine what will get measured, how and why (how it will be used)
- Create and implement a risk management plan to anticipate and prevent problems
Planning Successful Change
- Create a change strategy that reduces potential resistance l Know who is involved and in what ways
- Identify and address intended and unintended consequences
- Anticipate and manage for others’ responses
- Gain buy-in and support from employees and stakeholders l Create a communication strategy
- Act in ways that build trust in a political environment
Coaching for Development
- Get employees excited about lifelong learning and continuous improvement
- Help employees recognize their aptitudes, likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses, and
- match these attributes with a vision for the future
- Help employees focus on the benefits of determining short- and long-term goals and develop
- actions to help them get there
- Support personal and professional development within your organizational culture
Organizational Politics and Building Trust
- Understand power and politics in the health care environment
- Understand the value of ethical politics and strategic influence
- Redirect, diffuse or work around politically motivated behaviors
- Recognize potential political motivation in yourself and others
- Act in ways that build trust in a political environment
Improving Process Performance
- Select or validate a process improvement opportunity as a priority project l Create a process map, making the process visible
- Determine how best to establish metrics and collect data on key actions l Identify and test change ideas to implement
- Hardwire changes into the organization’s culture
Managing Non-Productive Biases
- Describe where biases come from and why it matters
- Identify potential personal biases and how they may impact leadership effectiveness
- Learn several strategies for breaking non-productive biases or avoiding their negative impact l Apply strategies for helping team members manage these biases
Human Performance System: Root Causes Analysis for Human Performance
- Understand the Human Performance System (HPS)
- Use HPS to conduct gap analysis
- Learn in-control and out-of-control options for closing the gaps
Meeting Facilitation Tools
- Generate and prioritize ideas
- Accomplish meeting outcomes
- Implement priorities
Working with HASC, IRI Consultants designed the LEAD Academy based on its 30-year track record of helping health care organizations become more effective and successful. This record in turn is based on IRI Consultants’ strong affiliations with the American Hospital Association (AHA), the American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (ASHHRA), The Healthcare Roundtable, and state and regional hospital associations like HASC.
Pamela Cunningham is a Six Sigma Black Belt skilled at blending the technical and human sides of high performance. A master facilitator, certified coach and highly regarded trainer, she has designed and conducts leadership training for clinical and nonclinical managers for private- and public-sector health care organizations throughout the western United States. A certified LEAN practitioner, Cunningham also has advised hospital executives on LEAN programs, process improvement and human performance system strategies to resolve various organizational issues quickly and effectively.
Marcey Uday-Riley, MSW, CPT, has been a human performance and organization development consultant for more than 25 years. She served as a clinical behaviorist and manager in a large urban teaching hospital for many years. Uday-Riley now helps multiple organizations achieve business objectives as a consultant and trainer. She has provided executive, manager and leader training for numerous facilities.
Tuition for each module is $188 per registrant.
- By attending the Advanced LEAD Academy offered by the Hospital Association of Southern California, participants may earn up to 2.5 ACHE Qualified Education Hours toward initial certification or recertification as a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE).
- Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #970, for 2.5 contact hours.*
- Provider approved by the California Department of Public Health, LFS Registration #219, for 2.5 contact hours.*
- This program has been submitted to the HR Certification Institute for review.
- Full academy registrants will have priority over single class registrations.
- We encourage you to register for the full academy, as space may not be available for single-class attendees once a session has started.
- Pre-registration is required and payment is due two weeks prior to session start date.
- Make check payable and mail to: HASC — LEAD Academy, FILE 1361, Pasadena, CA 91199-1361.
- You may be photographed or videotaped at the event. HASC reserves the right to use these images and videos in promotional, educational and other materials.
SPECIAL NEEDS or QUESTIONS
For ADA assistance or general registration questions, contact Sherita Rogers, [email protected] or (213) 538-0767.
Registrants who cannot attend a session may transfer to another session within the same year. Transfer/make-up sessions will be based on availability and cannot be guaranteed. A $75 administrative fee will be charged for each transferred session.
- Cancellations received in writing up to two weeks before the session start will be subject to a $75 processing fee.
- Substitutions are accepted at any time but will not be processed until full payment is received.
- Refunds will not be granted after the two-week cancellation deadline or for no-shows. Fees are not transferable to other HASC programs.
Online registration for this program will be forthcoming.
Alternately, you can download and fill out the brochure registration form, print it and mail with a check (payable to HASC) to: HASC, FILE 1361, Pasadena, CA 91199-1361.
Brochure with registration form coming soon
For more information, contact:
Custom Private Sessions Available
We also deliver customized private in-person Advanced LEAD Academy sessions, depending on your preference and the number of team members participating from your organization. The interactive in-person program includes engaging activities within each module and provides practical tools that can be applied at work. For more information and a cost proposal, please contact the HASC Education Department.