The Joint Commission and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) recognize that safe patient care begins when hospital units foster a culture of teamwork and trust in which all staff feel safe bringing concerns and ideas to improve care. This advanced class for charge nurses focuses on the nurse leader’s role in creating and developing this atmosphere. The course will briefly review key concepts taught in Charge Nursing: Leading from the Middle and then expand its focus to help nurses improve customer service, continuous survey readiness and response to critical events.
Following this course, students will be able to:
- Discuss the charge nurse relationship with all team members, including physicians, hospital leadership team members and other staff.
- Discuss the charge nurse role regarding patient satisfaction.
- Evaluate unit readiness for any type of survey (e.g., The Joint Commission).
- Discuss measures to improve a unit’s safety culture, including hourly rounding, effective shift reporting, simulation drills for critical events, debriefing after critical or unusual events and delivering effective feedback to frontline staff.
- Respond to critical events in a unit and follow up with appropriate action.
Charge nurses looking to develop their leadership skills.
Mark Kaliher, RN
Mark Kaliher has over 20 years of nursing experience, primarily in the emergency department. He currently works as a charge nurse at Bear Valley Community Hospital in San Bernardino County. Kaliher has experience working with a variety of teams through many years of registry work and critical care transports. For the past 10 years, he has also led courses through Flex Ed and HASC, becoming one of their most requested instructors. Students consistently say he’s able to take complicated concepts and make them easy to understand. His humor and passion for nursing make each course an enjoyable experience.
$115 for HASC hospital members
$140 for non-acute stakeholders
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider No. 08593, for 8 contact hours.
Registrations received without BRN numbers will not receive CE certificates
- Registration deadline: Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022
- Valid payment information must be received with your registration.
- Make check payable to HASC and mail to: HASC, FILE 1361, Pasadena, CA 91199-1361.
- You may be photographed or videotaped at the event. HASC reserves the right to use these images and video in promotional, marketing, educational and other materials.
SPECIAL NEEDS OR QUESTIONS
For ADA assistance or general registration questions, contact [email protected].
- Cancellations received in writing by Sept. 22, 2022, will be subject to a $50 processing fee.
- We welcome substitutions.
- Refunds will not be granted after Sept. 22 or for no-shows. Fees are not transferable to other programs.
To attend this program, please register online using the green button above.
Alternately, you can fill out the registration form and mail it with a check (payable to HASC) to: HASC, FILE 1361, Pasadena, CA 91199-1361.
Download brochure with fillable registration form
For any questions, please contact: