For more than 20 years, HSS has offered the industry’s preeminent workplace violence prevention program designed specifically for the health care environment—a comprehensive aggression management training program for anyone who might confront the hazards of human conflict.
Techniques for Effective Aggression Management (TEAM®)
This training prepares staff, physicians and administration to identify the early signs of agitation, mitigate escalation, and confidently interact with unruly or disoriented patients. TEAM is a flexible, on-site program that cuts in-classroom time in half compared to competitors. HSS also offers an eLearning version of TEAM Essentials that replaces the need for in-class instruction.
TEAM aggression management training leads to fewer injuries, reduction in the use of patient restraints, teaches staff how to act proactively to create their own safe space, and ensures compliance with all industry requirements. The program delivers health care-specific expertise, from design to training, in a time-efficient manner. Trainings reduce staff dependency on security officer personnel when intervening with agitated or violent patients. Simply put, it is the most effective health care-specific workplace violence intervention training program available.
TEAM training can be delivered by a certified instructor, online, or with a Train the Trainer option. All of which ensure time and cost savings. E-Learning’s convenient, 24-7 accessibility reduces time away from staff core responsibilities and maximizes productivity. Research shows that eLearning typically reduces costs by 40 percent over instructor-led courses while supporting the commitment to creating an environment in which staff are allowed to focus on patient care above all else.
TEAM Essentials teaches participants to identify factors that can escalate to aggression or violence. It gives participants the knowledge and skills to confidently handle disruptive behavior and keep themselves safe.
To augment their learning, participants are engaged with videos, simulations, real-life health care professional experiences, case studies, job aids, workbooks, instructor-led sessions, and group discussion.
TEAM Essentials is also available in a one-hour eLearning course. Although budgets are always under pressure, the commitment to keeping staff safe so they can focus on patient care remains strong. eLearning training supports the effort by:
- Offering convenient access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Saving money—typically 40 percent less expensive than an instructor-led courses
- Providing just-in-time training opportunities and “refresher” training opportunities
- Reducing organizational effort and time
- Maximizing staff productivity by reducing time away from core job responsibilities
- Knowledge management and easing compliance tracking
This course is fully compliant with The Joint Commission, CMS, DNV (NIAHO), OSHA, CalOSHA, and NIOSH guidelines.
TEAM Advanced teaches participants health care-appropriate strategies to protect their patients and themselves during a physical attack. Our instructors build participant competency via hands-on exercises and simulations.
TEAM Advanced focuses on defensive, non-harmful physical countermeasures for the most common types of assaults in health care settings. Staff will learn:
- Safe working positions
- Non-verbal techniques to safely defuse and control aggressive or violent behavior
- TEAM Personal Safety Principles to avoid injury if behavior escalates to a physical level
- Techniques for after-event documentation and debriefing
To best prepare staff for these incidents, we use a mix of engaging videos, simulations, real-life health care professional experiences, case studies, downloadable job aids, workbooks, instructor-led sessions, and group discussion.
This two-hour, instructor-led course s fully compliant with The Joint Commission, CMS, DNV (NIAHO), OSHA, CalOSHA, and NIOSH guidelines, including those requiring annual workplace violence training.
The TEAM Certified Instructor Course provides all the resources instructors will need, including presentation materials, talking points for each slide, guidance for delivery of the TEAM curriculum, and a complete glossary of terms. The Teaching Guide contains all the exercises, case study examples, video transcripts, and a step-by-step guide for teaching the hands-on, skills-based techniques of the Essentials and Advanced courses.
After the two-day, instructor-led course, participants will have access to:
- The comprehensive instructor guide and all electronic presentation materials
- Continuing consultation with other certified TEAM instructors
- Exclusive online support material and resources to support training
- Any updates or revisions to the program within the two-year period, at no additional charge
Participants are presented with a Certificate of Completion that is valid for two years. Re-certification requires instructors to teach or co-teach a minimum of 16 hours, or four training sessions, within the two-year period and to complete a competency exam.
Techniques for Effective Aggression Management (TEAM®) is a comprehensive patient-centered aggression management training program from the nation’s leader in health care security. This program takes a proactive, multi-tiered approach in managing the aggressive and violent patient. The key topics identified by health care leaders included risk factors of potential violence, verbal de-escalation techniques, staff training, and staff response options. TEAM® creates and sustains a culture of safety by:
- Reducing patient and staff injuries.
- Improve medical staff preparation for violence prevention.
- Minimize physical interventions.
- Meet all industry regulatory guidelines and requirements.
- 2021 Virtual Annual Meeting Sponsors (1/29/21)
- HSS: Preventing Assault on Health Care Workers (3/12/21)
Flier: HASC HSS Inc. Flier
Webpage: HSS Inc
- TEAM® Workplace Violence Prevention Training
- eLearning from HSS: The 21st Century Solution to Workplace Violence
- Reducing the Risk of Patient-generated Violence in Healthcare
- Proven Verbal-De-escalation Strategies for People with Dementia
- Aggression Management: Verbal De-Escalation Strategies for People Under the Influence of Stimulants and Hallucinogens
Senior Vice President of Public Policy and Reimbursement, HASC