“Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” — William Arthur Ward
With the Thanksgiving holiday in our rear view, and our attention shifted. towards the upcoming holidays and new year, we find ourselves in a moment of reflection and gratitude. The holidays provide a time not only to acknowledge our accomplishments and blessings, but also to look forward with excitement and anticipation to the opportunities that the new year will bring.
On a professional level, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude, and at the heart of this are our member hospitals, your dedicated teams, and the outstanding contributions each of you has made. This year has undoubtedly been a productive one. Although it has brought a fair share of challenges and whirlwind moments, I’m filled with immense pride in what we have achieved together.
Allow me to highlight some of our collective key accomplishments of 2023:
- Successfully thwarted SEIU- and UHW-sponsored minimum wage ballot measures and/or ordinances in 11 out of 12 cities. Additionally, successfully prevented executive compensation limits in the one city where SEIU and UHW actively sought them.
- Enabled member hospitals to save more than $16 million through recuperative care services provided by HASC affiliate National Health Foundation.
- In Ventura and Santa Barbara counties, collaborated with hospitals to fund 12 recuperative care beds to improve homeless discharge services, saving $2.7 million.
- Within the framework of HASC and Communities Lifting Communities’ Supplier Diversity Initiative, organized a series of events, workshops and podcasts aimed at bolstering hospital purchasing from businesses led by minority, women, LGBT and disabled veteran owners.
- ReddiNet implemented enhanced bed availability data, provided the communications backbone for 930 actual mass casualty incidents and 522 drill incidents, and developed an En Route and Transfer of Care module for improved ambulance patient tracking.
- Secured 15 hospital letters of intent to apply and pursue level 3 Geriatric Emergency Department accreditation.
- Hosted the second annual Central Coast Health Care Workforce Summit. Representatives from more than 20 hospitals and educational institutions joined together to identify opportunities to collaborate on expanding and training health care workers.
- Held our inaugural My SoCal Hospital Heroes Awards and recognized 13 outstanding health care employees throughout the HASC region.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you for all that you do for our communities. I want to express my heartfelt gratitude for your unwavering dedication, day in and day out. I extend my warmest wishes for a joyful holiday season filled with love and happiness for you and those you cherish.
As we intensify our efforts in monitoring individual cities’ policy activities and engaging with their elected officials and stakeholders, I anticipate that our fast-paced momentum will not cease. This dedication is vital as we continue advocating for sound health care policy. Nevertheless, it’s also important that we each use the holiday season as an opportunity to rejuvenate, replenish our energy and reaffirm our sense of purpose.
Take care and stay safe.