Communities Lifting Communities and HASC are pleased to award seven health care scholarships through the Diversity in Health Care Scholarship and Stipend Program. Launched in 2023, the program was created to help reduce health disparities and improve community health throughout Southern California by fostering a more diverse workforce. It aims to achieve this goal by reducing the financial burden for students, especially those from underrepresented communities, as they pursue health care careers.
Scholarship applicants must be enrolled in an accredited program and have worked at a HASC member hospital for at least one year. They must also submit letters of recommendation and a personal statement describing their reason for choosing a health care career.
After carefully reviewing all applications, CLC and HASC are pleased to announce the following seven 2023 scholarship recipients:
Undergraduate awards ($2,500):
- Sarah Cardona, telemetry technician, Providence St. Mary Medical Center
- Robert Cisneros, patient access specialist, Providence Saint Joseph’s Medical Center
- Carrie Finegan, medical assistant, Providence St. Jude Medical Center
- Alexa Sanchez, nursing assistant, Providence St. Jude Medical Center
Graduate awards ($3,000):
- Bryan Islas, patient relations specialist, California Hospital Medical Center
- Adrienne Savala, intensive care nurse, Providence St. Jude Medical Center
- Santiago Chambers, director of plant operations, Los Alamitos Medical Center
CLC and HASC are proud to establish the Diversity in Health Care Scholarship and Stipend Program to help address the ongoing shortage of diverse health care professionals and encourage more individuals to establish or continue their careers with HASC member hospitals.
CLC and HASC will offer more scholarship opportunities and will provide member hospitals will the 2024 application schedule in the next few months.